Job Number: 517043 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: Nigeria
Work Type: Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The main purpose of this consultancy is to continue providing technical support to UNICEF WASH program in Nigeria to strengthen the already developed sanitation supply chains consisting of sanitation marketing entrepreneurs and their network of masons. The sanitation entrepreneurs together with masons will help conduct promotional events and other sales activities to help households move up the sanitation ladder by offering a manageable range of options of easy-to-build and affordable yet aspirational improved toilets and delivering these toilets on receiving purchase requests.
The Sanitation Marketing Consultant will work on various aspects of the sanitation supply chain. This will require management of the post training support activities to all the Sanitation Marketing Entrepreneurs/Toilet Business Owners (SMEs/TBOs) and continuous linkage of the TBOs/SMEs with Household and Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs). Emphasis will be placed on structured promotional activities for SanMark adaptable to specific contexts.
The supply chain will be initiated in more LGAs under the scale-up phase. The constituents- that is, the entrepreneurs as well as their satellite system of masons will have to be trained in the technical aspects of construction of the various toilet design options on offer and emerging fit for purpose options that may be identified. A system will have to be established for technical training by co-opting technical training institutes such as the Federal/ State Polytechnics as nodal training institutes. UNICEF will enter into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the identified training institutes.
The supply network/system created will be provided marketing support including but not limited to tools and technical support to connect to the demand created through routine CLTS programming strategy. Â There shall be more emphasis on convergence of CLTS and the PPP strategies. The approach now will lead to convergence of all aspects.
Under the overall guidance of Chief of WASH and with supervision from the WASH Specialist, the key tasks for this consultancy include the following;
- Support to capacity development and mentoring of the partner SMEs: The Consultant working with SMEDAN and identified (hired) Enterprise development firm at national level shall continue to strengthen the capacities of the 150 SMEs that have been trained. The FOs shall be facilitated to identify and train at least 5 SMEs in each SHAWN LGA.
- Connecting pilot SMEs to the markets: Working with the respective LGAs the consultant will ensure that the 150 trained SMEs make group sales pitches to 100% of the ODF certified communities in their respective catchment areas. The consultant will facilitate the respective LGAs and TBOs to delineate their catchment areas and mark them on GIS maps for easy monitoring and follow up as well.
- In liaison with the UNICEF FOs/LGAs and RUWASAs ensure that each TBO/SME/MFI is provided with promotion material and their business promoted through a multimedia approach
- Connecting the SMEs/Clients (Market) to Finance: Working with ANMFIN, RUFIN, MFIs and other key stakeholders to facilitate access to financial services by the SMEs and Households
- Scaling up across the SHAWN States/LGAs: Working with FOs, state consultants and LGA consultants, make available the services of the SMEs to all communities in the SHAWN LGAs across the SHAWN pilot states (Bauchi, Benue, Katsina)
- Operational Guidelines: Finalize the SanMark Operational Guide for UNICEF that will be adopted nationally for sanitation marketing through public wide consultation and workshop.
- Monitoring: Ensure that the SanMark monitoring dash board is regularly updated from household level up to TBO-LGA and national level.
- Learning Reviews: Conduct or cause to be held weekly and monthly reviews at the LGA and state levels respectively within the Multi-Stakeholder Platform (MSP) and quarterly reviews at the national level.
- Facilitating the set up of SM-MSP at the Federal and state level: Facilitate the setting up of a Sanitation Marketing Multi Stakeholder Platform. This will be supported by major stakeholders at the national and state levels. Stakeholders will include other SanMark actors, SMEs, MFIs, large scale business enterprise, advocates and others.
Consultancy duration is 6 months.
Applicants should quote an all inclusive fee
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Opening Date Wed Oct 17 2018 12:00:00 GMT+0200 (South Africa Standard Time) W. Central Africa Standard Time
Closing Date Wed Oct 31 2018 00:55:00 GMT+0200 (South Africa Standard Time)