The Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF), the Federal Government agency with the mandate of developing local human capacity and petroleum technology to meet the needs of the oil and gas industry, invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for the Overseas Postgraduate Scholarships to specific programmes at selected Institutions in the United Kingdom, Germany and France. Successful candidates will be awarded scholarships to study in these countries commencing in the 2019/2020 academic session.
Under this scheme, candidates are invited to apply through PTDF to specific programmes at the partner institutions in any of the countries (full list of sponsored courses is available below). The award includes the provision of flight tickets, payment of health insurance, payment of tuition and bench fees (where applicable) as well as the provision of allowances to meet the costs of accommodation and living expenses. The programmes will also include language classes to aid scholars settle into their new environments.
PTDF Overseas Scholarship Eligibility.
For Ph.D Applicants.
- Must have completed the compulsory National Youth Service (NYSC)
- Must be computer literate
- A minimum of Second Class Lower (2.2) in their first degree and a good second-degree certificate;
- Must submit a research proposal relevant to the oil and gas industry (of not more than 5 pages) to include: Topic, introduction, objective, methodology and mode of data collection (Click here for a sample of Ph.D. research proposal format)
- Applicants must also include their master’s degree project
For M.Sc Applicants.
- A minimum of Second Class Upper (2.1) qualification in their first degree or a Second Class Lower (2.2) with relevant industry experience
- Must have completed the mandatory National Youth Service (NYSC)
- Must be computer literate
- Possession of 5 O/level credits including English Language.
Applicants are advised to scan copies of the following documents and attach to their online application forms:
- First Degree Certificate or Statement of Result
- NYSC discharge certificate
- WAEC/GCE/SSCE/NECO results as well as the PIN numbers on the application forms to enable PTDF view the O’level results on the relevant website).
- Recent Passport Photograph
- Local Government Identification Letter
- Master’s Degree Certificate (PhD Applicants only)
- Evidence of membership of professional associations
- Ongoing PhD Candidates could only apply provided their Universities are among the PTDF Partnership Universities as listed below;
- Candidates who have benefited from any of the PTDF scholarships in the past cannot apply for the same type of programme, except a higher programme;
- Candidates who successfully scale through the first round of screening will be requested to submit their transcripts; all applicants are therefore advised to prepare their transcripts for submission in anticipation of such a request.
PTDF Overseas Scholarship – Approved Courses for Sponsorship.
Candidates may select up to 3 different courses (1st,2nd and 3rd choice) in any country or university, but are not to contact the schools directly for admissions as they will be placed in relevant universities by the PTDF
PTDF Overseas Postgraduate Scholarship Selection Criteria.
PTDF scholarships are very competitive and only candidates who are outstanding across the board are selected. A selection Click HERE for more information will be constituted to assess applications using the following criteria;
- Academic merit as evidenced by quality of degrees, full academic transcripts, other professional qualifications acquired, and relevant publications (where available) to be referenced by applicants
- Awards for leadership and/or academic excellence (where available).
- Membership of professional bodies
- The viability of the study/research plan.
- Applicants are required to make a case for their scholarship by submitting a statement of purpose (maximum 500 words) stating the reason(s) they want to undertake the study, the relevance of the proposed study to the oil & gas industry and its expected impact on national development.